20 August 2014

A homecoming of sorts...

Mai soong kha! 
I wish I knew how to say "It has been a very long time" in Shan/Tai Yai. Maybe I should learn...

It has been very long, a few years in fact, since my last post. But it is time to say welcome back to All about Shan Studies. The past few years has not only taken me on different paths - some closer to Shan State and Burma/Myanmar (in fact, I spent a few months there last year) and others further way (like my current location in North America) - but I have always found myself returning to the Shan, continuing to follow news, insights and research and eager to participate. Maybe this post will be an re-awakening of sort. 

I certainly hope so. 

Most of all, jom li kha for staying with me, being patient and coming back! 

An Introduction the World of Shan Manuscripts

Throughout my hiatus, things have been moving swiftly ahead, even if I haven't been highlighting or commenting on them. Whether conferences, publications, videos or more, the Shan State continues to build its profile with those interested in its inner workings, its people, its culture and more, and much of this has taken place outside a public relations/media boom related to more political and economic things happen in greater Burma/Myanmar. While I am overjoyed at the wider and deeper focus, I wish to continue to focus my efforts on the Shan State alone and leave the more broad conversations to others. 

And what way can be better to advance this thirst for and desire to share knowledge than to promote the rise of Shan manuscripts across a number of institutions worldwide. But this is not a new phenomenon nor is it a surprising outcome for a culture that has a deep and detailed tradition of producing literature, most in manuscript form, over the centuries. 

Others are far more adept at speaking on Shan manuscripts - their production, history and significance (see the SOAS link below) - so I will leave the details and explanation to them. Rather, I'd like to highlight that many of these manuscripts, previously unknown or locked away for safekeeping, are now available in digital form, allowing better access for a wider readership worldwide. While the production of new manuscripts is faltering today (there are various reasons, many of which I would rather avoid underlining), but much has to do limited contact between those who can teach and those who want to learn; this is also due to a general decline (forced, by necessity or through coincidence) in Shan learning and usage. Regardless, Shan manuscripts that were previously found only and across Shan State, mainly in Buddhist monasteries but also in private homes, are now available electronically.​



The UK is a leader in the preservation and promotion of Shan manuscripts, led by diligent academics and others at a number of universities, including Cambridge University Library (over 400 texts catalogued by Sao Saimong Mangrai, a Shan scholar) and the Bodleian Libraries of Oxford University. Others are held in British Library (Special Collections) and in the Library of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) at the University of London. Other special projects, such as those to catalogue Shan manuscripts (e.g. the SOAS-based Shan Buddhism at the Borderlands project and the Oxford’s Bodliean Libraries-based Revealing Hidden Collections project) as well as an exhibition of digital images of Shan manuscripts (via the SOAS Archives)  have greatly supported efforts to promote Shan manuscript management and promotion. 

To learn more about efforts to support, catalogue and preserve Shan manuscripts, especially through digital efforts, please visit the SOAS Library's page on Shan Manuscripts. 

For now, we can be comforted in a resurgence of interest and support in Shan manuscripts and hope that it continues. 

Jom lii kha

Naw Liang

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am wondering if the author plans to revive this blog sometime in the future. Please let me know. Thank you.

Naw Liang Savage said...

Mai soong kha Charles:
Thank you for your comment. It has been a while since I returned to All about Shan Studies. my apologies for the wait! After leaving academia in 2014, moving to South East Asia and then, in turn, leaving for North America, I have not focused on the Shan for the some time. Sad, but true. I'd love to get back into it, but I feel that this blog needs a team to produce, maintain and deliver informative and insightful content to the public to be viable. If it is left up to me alone, it will only ever be spotty in its posts.
Would you like to help? Are you able to? Please reach out and let me know.
Jom lii kha,
Naw Liang

Unknown said...

Hi Pi Naw Liang, I didn't realize that you did respond to my comment. I cannot remember when exactly I wrote the first comment. Are you in Canada?

We crossed at the Tai Studies Conference in London almost 11 yrs ago. I was living in Canada back then but I have been living in Sweden for the past 9.5 yrs. I go back to Shan State more often these days and I plan to visit the Tai Studies Center and the Shan State Buddhist Univ in Taunggyi. While I am not in a position to contribute to this blog on regular basis, I can check with the Tai Studies Center and the Buddhist Univ if they can contribute, if that is fine with you. Please let me know.

Naw Liang Savage said...

Dear Charles:
Great to hear from you - jom lii kha! I remember the Tai Studies Conference at SOAS vaguely, and wish I remembered you, but cannot I am afraid. Age and memory loss, or just age, I guess. Very interesting to hear that you are in Sweden, which I wonder about, and learn of our Canada connection. After many years overseas, I returned to Canada from Myanmar and Singapore (I was leading a business' expansion into Myanmar) to settle in central Canada with my family. While I miss the warmer weather and cuisine and buzzing society, Canada is my original home and great for my young children. I have to admit that I haven't been back to the Shan States since 2015, but hope to do so next year. It's been too long. I am sorry to hear that you cannot contribute - I am sure that there is much that you can share - but completely understand. In fact, I have let the All about Shan Studies blog dangle for too long and really need to give it a boost. Hopefully 2019 will see a slower time for me workwise so that I can dedicate more time and effort to it. If you could, on your upcoming journey, find out if there are others who can contribute from Shan State, that would be wonderful! Keep me posted and speak soon.
All the best in 2019.
Khun Naw Liang
In Canada

Unknown said...

Dear Khun Naw Liang,

Thank you for your reply. I am happy to hear that you made it back home to Central Canada after many years abroad.

To help you remember, I am the Engineer who presented a rather out of place paper that drew criticism from a number of people at that conference. While the true blue Humanities scholars/ anthropologists at the conference focused on the language, culture and religious beliefs of the Tai people, I presented a way to keep up the Tai Spirit (Nam Jai Tai) in the globalized world of the 21st century using the model based approach, that is common in my field of learning. The only education that I have in Humanities is a single course on anthropology that I took as an Engineering undergrad at UBC in Vancouver over 20 yrs ago.

I am not in a position to write something meaningful on a monthly basis, but I can 1) send you a paper that I presented at the SE Asian Studies conference at Cambridge Univ back in 2011 and 2) introduce your blog to some young Tais who have the guts to study Humanities and also to the Center of Tai Studies in Taunggyi and the scholars at the Shan State Sangha University (founded by the same Oxford based Shan monk who organized the Tai Studies Conference in London back in December 2007). Pls send me an email at cksao1@gmail.com so that I can send you the aforementioned paper.

Since you said you are now in Central Canada, are you now based in Toronto or somewhere else in Ontario? Are you teaching at a university? I also find it interesting that you led a business' expansion into Myanmar. Back in 2003/2004 when I was living in Toronto, I tried to import wicker ware from Yangon but I got a call from Ottawa telling me that importing stuff from Yangon was not allowed (Sanctions). I would be interested in any business opportunity where I can be bridge between Canada and the countries I am familiar with in Asean (Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore).