25 October 2008

Shan New Year Songs Part IV: Khur Sor Lai
by Naw Liang (with help from PiJo)

Season's greetings. Or maybe that is a bit early?
The following post is Part IV in All about Shan Studies' look at Shan New Year's songs, one of the expanding array of online content available on Shan New Year. I hope to include sound clips with each song soon, but, for now, please enjoy the lyrics below.

Yin lii nam nam
to Pi Jo and many others, particularly friends from the SCA_UK, for sending these through to me. And, as always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

For now, enjoy practicing Khur Sor Lai



==================

On a tangential aside, I have stumbled upon another Shan group, this time from Singapore, who have astutely produced an excellent and amply named Shan New Year website. The site includes, amongst other new year things, photos of past years and an interview with Sai Htee Saing. Following the link above for details.

The Singapore group is, I am certain, only one of many groups worldwide holding Shan New Year celebrations. As a wide request, I would appreciate any links to other groups, particularly in Northern Thailand and, if possible, Shan State, that readers are aware of so that I might include there details in future postings. Additionally, I plan to arrange a database of Shan groups worldwide in the near future - one of many projects I have in the works for All about Shan Studies - and these links will be invaluable additions to such work.

Yin lii nam nam for your help in advance.

Naw Liang

No comments: