20 December 2007

The Shan: Engineering perspectives on and solutions for a 'lost' culture
by Naw Liang

(in London, UK and Kyoto, Japan)

Mai soong kha!
As promised in the previous post, I’ve come up with one more topic for discussion prior to the extended end-of-year holidays. This is something that I have been pondering for some time, to the extent that I believe that further, more in-depth research is essential. For now, this is a taster and any comments and opinions – for or against – are appreciated. Additionally, all of the links that I have included were discovered in a five-minute research test to see how easy it was (and how much) Shan/Tai Yai content is currently available on the internet. Any further links are also appreciated.

Solving a cultural identity crisis: A Shan engineer attempts an answer
During the 2007 Conference on Shan Buddhism and Culture held in early December in London, attendees were treated to a unique presentation by a Shan engineer immigrant from Canada on ‘solving’ modern Shan identity problems and ‘constructing’ a contemporary Shan culture. Sao Khun-Hti Laikha presented his paper entitled 'Being an Urban Tai/Shan in the 21st Century: Challenges and Solutions' in a brief and interesting manner - as an engingeer and not an academic, he challenged some common social science thoughts and theories on ethinic identity and identity retention, especially when abroad for significant periods.

Although some comments were questionable – an apparent lack (Historically? Current? Both?) of alluring Shan music and performance that (in)directly nudged elite Shans towards Burmese artforms; and a skewed and, therefore, not anthropological insinuation that higher education (largely Western-based) and professions (Western in scope) equalled a better life – and others unnecessary and unappreciated (especially those about boring Canada - the speaker's adopted country), I do wholeheartedly commend the speaker’s genuine enthusiasm and brave theoretical attempt (engineering to ‘solve’ social science conundrums) to discuss an issue that was obviously very close to his heart. My hope is that he will, as promised, be open to comments and criticism and learn from his attempt before even attempting the next step.

However, my questions and somewhat stern comments aside, I was deeply puzzled by a central theme that flowed through the presentation: the speaker’s belief, however misguided and misinformed, that an absence of Shan cultural (music, video, literature, images) existed and remains. Furthermore, his faulty research concluded in, I believe, a truly incorrect realisation that Shan culture as he (and an implied we) knew and know it has already been destroyed.

Although I may be emphasising for effect here, the general concept - a lack of Shan cultural content - is something that I cannot agree with.

For starters, a simple online library (see Shan and Tai Yai), bookstore or general internet search turns up endless resources of Shan ‘culture’ available today – from historical texts to VCD music videos and language to art worldwide. More bluntly than these offerings, there is no more concrete example than this, albeit, fledgling website. The amount of information – from pre-19th century to the present – is staggering and often results in me having to pick and choose what to (and not to) include on a nearly daily basis. I do agree that the information comes in many forms – from personal websites in a growing number of languages to obscure information cloaked in other guises – but that is the challenge for the researcher and not a sign of an inherent lack (or absence) of material. Furthermore, a closing remark – the engineer joked that, without professionals like himself, infrastructures to share information, including those key to Shan cultural survival, would not be possible – helped solidify my disbelief and growing annoyance with his ‘scientific theory’. Turned around, why had the engineers even considered such structures if the content to be transported was lacking? More telling, if, as he hypothesised, Shan cultural materials were lacking (or, indeed, absent), where and how had I (and many others) managed to discover the materials here. Moreover, how were others, including the growing number of Shan academics and researchers, doing it as well? Although he deserves an ‘A’ for effort and courage, his preliminary research and strength of sources was sorely lacking. Broad sweeping generalisations and 'My father said' comments do little to establish clout in the academic world. A tough lesson that I have learned and continue to experience.

Conclusion: what have we learned?
In the end, what have we learned from this presentation and the speaker’s sentiments? First, that, despite confused looks and reactions from the overwhelming ‘social science expert’ gallery, concepts like culture can, at times, be analysed using ‘pure science’ techniques to bring in a fresh perspective and approach to age-old and (often) worn-out debates. For this non-traditional academic presentation and approach, many attendees, including myself, are grateful. We often shudder at fresh ideas, particularly those from outside our realm, and this does us no favours.

Most importantly however, our collective knowledge of the presence/existence of past and present Shan culture (music, video, literature and art) was deeply reinforced by the speaker’s contradictory sentiments that a lack or even non-existence of Shan cultural material (at the very least historically) was the case at present. On a more personal note, his questionable stance helped those of us who actively research, analyse and comment on Shan culture fortify our endeavours, work that often leaves us feeling isolated at times. For this indirect encouragement, and his brave foray into social science, he is also to be commended.

To close, I would like to add that, although some of my comments are cutting, I am truly happy to have attended his (and each) presentation. Without events like the Conference on Shan Buddhism and Culture, such viewpoints, however dubious, would not be accessible; as a result, postings like this (and others) would not come to pass. It is my sincere hope that, in the coming year and years, more Shan events will be held worldwide so that this and many other Shan-related issues can be voiced, discussed, debated and expanded.

Have a wonderful holiday season and see you in 2008,

Naw Liang

7 comments:

Mai Soong Kha said...

Mai soong kha,

More about Keng Tung old picture

http://picasaweb.google.com/khaimong/Kengtung2

Take care..

Ouie said...

Thank you so much for your blogspot, Naw Laing. It is one of the best spot for informations on Tai. Tai culture starts for sure, according to our calendar, 2102 years ago, and will go on for many, many more years. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Colin,
I do acknowledge that my paper lacks the academic rigour when analyzing the identity erosion among a particular group of Tai/Shan emigrants. Moreover, I was stretching the evidence from a very limited sample to make rather general statements. That is why I urged the social scientists in the audience to work on the subject as they can do a far better job.

I thought my presentation might have confused some people and your posting proved me right. I wonder if you’d read the paper before you posted your blog. If you had, I would gladly revise the paper before publshing to a wider audience because you missed a number of important points.

1) Lack of Shan Language Material/Culture
I am NOT talking about the present time. I fully agree with you that there are plenty of material on Tai/Shan on the net. In fact there are more than I can spare time to read/watch/listen presently. I am talking about what a Tai/Shan emigrant to, say Rangoon, would find back in 1920’s all the way to 1950’s. (I explitictly defined what I meant by Wave X emigrants in my paper AND presentation slides – you can’t miss it easily). Moreover, for an emigrant who developed a taste for staged peformances of classical plays and epics like Ramayana and the then modern forms of music, the Toh dance and Tai/Shan traditional music of the time were no longer appealing. That is what I found from the limited number of cases that I interviewed and I know several other Tai/Shan persons of that generation whom I would put in the same category. I know them that much by virtue of being in the same social circle.

2) Destruction of Tai/Shan Culture
I never meant to say that Tai/Shan culture has been destroyed. In fact, it is now flourishing beyond one could imagine, say 20 years ago. What was lost to the Tai/Shan community though were the people who lost their sense of identity back in the 1940’s and 1950’s and their decendants. I have plenty of relatives to prove that.


3) Role of Engineers
I neither meant directly nor indirectly that that Tai/Shan culture as a whole cannot survive without engineers. I meant Tai/Shan cultural material will be far less accessible to an emigrant who moves to ‘distant’ places with very few or no other Tai/Shan people around if the internet did not exist. Hence that person may lose touch with his native ethnic community and may even lose his sense of identity as a Tai/Shan. I must have confused you much earlier in the presentation for you to miss that point.

4) Higher Education = Better Life
I did not do a study to back up this claim. However, I have seen concrete examples in my social circle to know that, more often than not, it is the case. I know this lacks academic rigour. I wrote the paper as a concerned Tai/Shan to highlight an issue close to my heart rather than as an academic who is attempting to contribute to a certain body of knowledge.

Phangpawn Noi said...

Hi,

to join in the discussion:

First of all I found Khun Hti (pls correct me if I remember the name incorrectly) an interesting counterpoint to the discourse ABOUT the Shan to a discourse OF a Shan. However, as it was coloured as a personal account/experience with some attempted scientific analysis (of which methods are not clear to me) it caused some confusion among the audience. From a standpoint of someone primarily concerned about the Shan people and their cultural heritage, I can understand his point and feel sympathetic with his objectives.
In my opinion it is always a kind of irritating to hear a presentation which goes beyond "neutral" (as it is claimed to be) scientific data and their interpretation and enters the arena of political/religious/social argumentation. Actually, the target group for which the presentation was/is relevant (ie. the Shan students) were not really present during the conference. The presentation would have had a better place somewhere before the Tai New Year presentation. But that is just my opinion.
Some points I would like to comment though.
with regards to:
2) destruction of Tai/Shan culture. It is happening, but mostly back home in the Shan state, where village life is severely disrupted by raids of the Burmese Army

3) role of engineers. It should rather extended to academics and professionals as they all contribute in their own way - with or without the technology. Look at Thai people abroad as an example.

4) Higher Education = better life. Either this is a commonplace or one can debate what "better life" means.

Best wishes and thank you for this exchange of thoughts.

Tinya (Sai Hseng Hpa)

Phangpawn Noi said...

There is one thing I would like to add... Socially higher classes are more prone to assimilation due to their increased exposure to the majority population via education, media and their own life as a whole. That is a general finding I have come across during my study of anthropology. Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the author of the book I have in mind.
Elites always play a crucial role in their societies as they always play a model from which the rest of the population would copy over the time. It's them bringing cultural change. They can induce a cultural shift or cultural revival, respectively. You can see it throughout the history of Europe and also Asia.
With the Shan diaspora this might be a different case, but again, the media brings profound changes. I have found out that a Shan in Thailand has referred to a video clip of the Shan New Year in London that I have put onto YouTube. And that is encouraging...

Best wishes,

Tinya

Naw Liang Savage said...

Thank you to everyone who commented, particularly Charles (the author and presentor of the paper in question) and Tinya. My apologies for my late response to your comments.

To start, thank you Charles for attempting to clear up some issues that you believe I may have misunderstood or missed entirely during your presentation. First, be assured that my comments are solely directed at your presentation and not at your paper; I hope to read it (and, possibly, amend my thoughts) at a later date. This may clear up some of your issues. Second, it should be understood that my post is only my opinion based on your comments and with a fair helping of writer's licence in exaggerating adequately to make my point. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I know that you were discussing the lack of a Shan cultural library/spectrum in the past, but I am dealing with the present and, therefore, my comment stands; furthermore, you failed to provide any proof to support your claim, something quite fundamental. Additionally, could it be possible, in your findings, that the tastes of those you interviewed merely changed rather than materials being unavailable or non-existent? Thoughts?

Fair point on the destruction of Shan 'culture', but I think that you may, to a social anthropologist, have confused 'culture', 'identity' and several other phrases, making it hard to follow. Certainly your relatives, having left the Shan State, would lose a sense of their cultural identity, but this does not mean that the culture, 'back home', would be any less weakened. Could you please clarify what you are referring to if possible?

I agree with your point about engineers (I work with them daily), but I think that, rather than me missing your point, you have completely misunderstood my joking reference here. It was a side comment with an eliptical conclusion. However, I do wonder why you brought that up at all. I mean, wasn't (isn't?) that a situation that people the world over have experienced or, in some remote cases, still experience? Why would that be particularly powerful (or targetted even) at the Shan?

I accept your comments on Higher Education as well - this area would warrant further study. However, the point that I was trying to make is that, in many social sciences, we need to remove ourselves from a particularly society's values (such as higher education = a better life), even if, logically for us, that is the case. I cannot submit someone in southern Sudan to my value system as much as they can say that a computer is less valuable than a shotgun. What I was trying to say, as a social anthropologist, was that we should be careful to subject others to our values, particularly in studies such as your own.

All of this said, I am still grateful for your presentation and its refreshing take on identity studies, the Shan and social science in general. I would be happy to read through and comment on your paper if you wish - just let me know. Furthermore, I do agree that your presentation might have better suited a Shan audience, though that would have excluded many of us non- and interested-in-the-Shan. All in all, I am glad you made the effort and look forward to more in the future.

Until next time,

Naw Liang

Unknown said...

Response to Colin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your response.

This paragraph addresses the third paragraph of your latest response. I stand by my claim that there was a lack of Shan cultural material for urbanized Tai/Shan, I meant – recorded songs, books, periodicals, movies, in the past 1920’s to 1950’s because I could not find any. Furthermore, I should have qualified the word ‘lack’ in my claim. I would take gladly take this claim back or modify it if you or anyone can name the following:
1) At least one Tai/Shan music album from that period, which went on sale in urban centers like Taunggyi, Kengtung, Yangon/Rangoon, etc.
2) At least one Tai/Shan language movie;
3) At least one Tai/Shan language periodical;
4) At least 5 books that were published within a year in that period.

This paragraph addresses the 4th paragraph in your latest response. Yes, I need help defining the term ‘culture’ in the anthropological/sociological sense. Moreover, I don’t think the loss of identity of some emigrant families – not just my own – have significant effect on the traditional/rural Tai/Shan culture back home. What I meant is, if those emigrants and their descendants still identify themselves as Tai/Shans and take an active interest in the betterment (not necessarily politics) of the Tai/Shan people, it would be helpful to present day’s Tai/Shan society at least along one or two dimensions. As an example, just imagine what it would mean to the relatively sparse body of knowledge about Tai/Shan culture, history, etc, if Sao Saimong Mangrai, who left his native Kengtung to eventually settle down in Burmese speaking Taunggyi, turned his back on his native culture. Fortunately, he didn’t.

As for your 5th paragraph – yes, I took your comments seriously since your blog deals with Tai/Shan study, a valid academic topic. Responding to the last sentence of this paragraph, I meant to say, but perhaps I did not emphasize sufficiently, that modern communication technologies are a blessing for “the current generation of Tai/Shan emigrants, especially to those who live in places where there are no or very few other Tai/Shans” (not all Tai/Shans in general) because it allows them to remain part of a Tai/Shan social circle by communicating frequently with friends and relatives back home as well as other Tai Nok Murng. For example, if I were a Hong Kong immigrant living in Richmond, BC, I could remain part of a Cantonese speaking social circle whether or not the internet exists as there are many such people around. I would still be able to buy Cantonese music albums, videos and books in places like Richmond, BC and Markham, ON. By the same token, a Tai/Shan in some parts of Northern Thailand does not need the internet to remain part of a Tai/Shan social circle or have access to cultural material these days. However, for a Tai/Shan immigrant in North America, we DO need the internet to remain part of our community and to access Tai/Shan language cultural material so the internet is far more important to me than my friends from Hong Kong and Taiwan who live in Vancouver and Toronto. The same degree of importance would apply to a Hong Kong immigrant who ends up living in, say, Smooth Rock Falls, ON.


As for your 6th paragraph, I agree that an anthropologist should not be trying to impose their values on the people they study. But then, please remember that I was not presenting as a practicing anthropologist who came from outside to study the Tai/Shan community. Furthermore, I am not isolated western educated Shan imposing my newly acquired values on the home bound community that does not value higher education at all. Popular modern Tai/Shan songs such as Khat: Jai Hai; Mai, Soong (sung at the New Year ceremony in London) and Moang; Cha. Cha. Pi Mai, (Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otjlck5eL94) reflect the desire of at least a certain segment of the Tai/Shan community for progress and a modernized culture. I am simply echoing that desire. Nowadays, significant number of Shans have already embraced higher education and skill training as a path for progress. Otherwise, you and I wouldn’t have seen the Tai/Shan students we saw in London. Ven. Dhammasami, the co-chair of the conference we both attended, received a hero’s welcome in back home upon his brief return after completing his PhD. His claim to fame then was higher education for Tai/Shan monks and the events that were stage during his return showed that many people back home value higher education these days. So I’m only reflecting that trend.


I would also like to address your words “others unnecessary and unappreciated (especially those about boring Canada - the speaker's adopted country)”, which appears in the first pagraph of your orignal posting titled “Solving a cultural identity crisis: A Shan engineer attempts an answer”. I did talk about something missing from my fairly good life as an immigrant. Please remember that I said that in response to a personal question, not part of the presentation. It would be unncessary and irrelevant if I said that as part of the paper or the presentation. Moreover, I did not mean that I find life in Canada boring. And I don’t have time to be bored.

Lastly, please do read my paper and identify deficiencies and areas that need more work on the topic. Although it was presented at an academic conference, I did not use any standard research tools and methods of the relevant discipline(s) in writing the paper this is acknowledged in the last paragraph of the paper. In fact, the last sentence states “this paper is intended as a mere starting point that may prompt concerned social science researchers to conduct further investigation”.


Response to Tinya
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Referring to the first paragraph of your first response, I acknowledge that the presentation was a more personal than it should have been. Read my paper, it’s more balanced than the presentation.

Secondly, identity erosion among urbanized Tai/Shan is something I have seen in the urbanized Tai/Shan community back home. However, I have not seen any systematic study of this issue. I have not done one myself and I am not qualified to do a credible study either. Such a study may prove me wrong and the issue may really be as significant as I believe. In the absence of such a study, I would rather err on the conservative side and voice my concern rather than staying silent. That’s what engineers in my field do all the time when we do not have complete information/understanding of the systems that we are build or operate.